From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This general-purpose tomato sauce works as well for pasta as for pizza. It may be frozen for up to two months.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes (with juices), chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and thyme. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool the sauce to room temperature before spreading it on the pizza dough.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1992