From EatingWell: May/June 1992
This general-purpose tomato sauce works as well for pasta as for pizza. It may be frozen for up to two months.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes (with juices), chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and thyme. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool the sauce to room temperature before spreading it on the pizza dough.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 30 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992