Tomato & Provolone Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
There’s something magical about a simple bread-and-tomato sandwich, but this one is even better topped with melted provolone cheese and tarragon-garlic mayo.
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices whole-grain country bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Mash garlic on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife or a spoon until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with mayonnaise, tarragon (or basil), lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the bread over and divide cheese among 4 of the pieces. Continue broiling until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches with tomato and the garlic-herb mayonnaise. Top with the melted cheese bread.
Per serving: 389 calories; 20 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2010