Tomato & Provolone Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
There’s something magical about a simple bread-and-tomato sandwich, but this one is even better topped with melted provolone cheese and tarragon-garlic mayo.
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices whole-grain country bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Mash garlic on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife or a spoon until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with mayonnaise, tarragon (or basil), lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the bread over and divide cheese among 4 of the pieces. Continue broiling until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches with tomato and the garlic-herb mayonnaise. Top with the melted cheese bread.
Per serving: 389 calories; 20 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010