Tomato & Provolone Sandwiches
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
There’s something magical about a simple bread-and-tomato sandwich, but this one is even better topped with melted provolone cheese and tarragon-garlic mayo.
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices whole-grain country bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Mash garlic on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife or a spoon until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with mayonnaise, tarragon (or basil), lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet and broil until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the bread over and divide cheese among 4 of the pieces. Continue broiling until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches with tomato and the garlic-herb mayonnaise. Top with the melted cheese bread.
Per serving: 389 calories; 20 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Zinc (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- July/August 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)