Summer Tomato, Onion & Cucumber Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Fresh wedges of tomato, thinly sliced onion and sliced cucumber dressed simply with vinegar and oil makes the most simple salad possible—think of it as the Southern counterpart to the classic Italian tomato-and-mozzarella salad. It is best enjoyed at the height of summer, when tomatoes and cucumbers are fresh from the garden.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, chives and/or tarragon
- Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl.
- Remove alternating stripes of peel from the cucumbers. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds. Add the cucumber slices, tomatoes and onion to the dressing; gently toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add herbs and toss again.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 58 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 202 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011