Summer Tomato, Onion & Cucumber Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Fresh wedges of tomato, thinly sliced onion and sliced cucumber dressed simply with vinegar and oil makes the most simple salad possible—think of it as the Southern counterpart to the classic Italian tomato-and-mozzarella salad. It is best enjoyed at the height of summer, when tomatoes and cucumbers are fresh from the garden.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, chives and/or tarragon
- Whisk vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl.
- Remove alternating stripes of peel from the cucumbers. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds. Add the cucumber slices, tomatoes and onion to the dressing; gently toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add herbs and toss again.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour ahead.
Per serving: 58 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 202 mg sodium; 264 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011