Tomato-&-Olive-Stuffed Portobello Caps
Portobello caps make excellent mini casseroles. Here, they hold a tomato, cheese and olive stuffing that grills up to a smoky perfection. Serve them with whole-wheat couscous and a mixed green salad for an easy meal.
- 2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Combine tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, rosemary and pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Discard mushroom stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of the caps using a spoon; discard gills. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over both sides of the caps.
- Oil a grill rack (see Tip). Place the caps on the rack, stem sides down, cover and grill until soft, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and fill with the tomato mixture. Return to the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 122 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique