Tomato-&-Olive-Stuffed Portobello Caps
Portobello caps make excellent mini casseroles. Here, they hold a tomato, cheese and olive stuffing that grills up to a smoky perfection. Serve them with whole-wheat couscous and a mixed green salad for an easy meal.
- 2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Combine tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, rosemary and pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Discard mushroom stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of the caps using a spoon; discard gills. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over both sides of the caps.
- Oil a grill rack (see Tip). Place the caps on the rack, stem sides down, cover and grill until soft, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and fill with the tomato mixture. Return to the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 122 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique