Tomato-&-Olive-Stuffed Portobello Caps
Portobello caps make excellent mini casseroles. Here, they hold a tomato, cheese and olive stuffing that grills up to a smoky perfection. Serve them with whole-wheat couscous and a mixed green salad for an easy meal.
- 2/3 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches wide
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Combine tomatoes, cheese, olives, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, rosemary and pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Discard mushroom stems. Remove brown gills from the undersides of the caps using a spoon; discard gills. Mix the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the mixture over both sides of the caps.
- Oil a grill rack (see Tip). Place the caps on the rack, stem sides down, cover and grill until soft, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and fill with the tomato mixture. Return to the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 122 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 338 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Preparation/ Technique