The clean flavor of this simple tomato sauce teams up well with grilled swordfish or tuna, as well as sautéed chicken or veal.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic in oil in a medium, nonaluminum skillet until it is just tender, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat just until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in chives and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel and seed tomatoes:
- 1. Before you start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Using a sharp paring knife, core the tomatoes and score a small “X” into the flesh on the bottom.
- 2. Place the tomatoes in the boiling water, in batches, until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water and let sit in the water for 1 minute before removing.
- 4. Peel the tomatoes using a paring knife. Halve them crosswise and scoop out the seeds with a hooked finger.
Per tablespoon: 8 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique