The clean flavor of this simple tomato sauce teams up well with grilled swordfish or tuna, as well as sautéed chicken or veal.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic in oil in a medium, nonaluminum skillet until it is just tender, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat just until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in chives and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel and seed tomatoes:
- 1. Before you start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Using a sharp paring knife, core the tomatoes and score a small “X” into the flesh on the bottom.
- 2. Place the tomatoes in the boiling water, in batches, until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water and let sit in the water for 1 minute before removing.
- 4. Peel the tomatoes using a paring knife. Halve them crosswise and scoop out the seeds with a hooked finger.
Per tablespoon: 8 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory