The clean flavor of this simple tomato sauce teams up well with grilled swordfish or tuna, as well as sautéed chicken or veal.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic in oil in a medium, nonaluminum skillet until it is just tender, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat just until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in chives and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel and seed tomatoes:
- 1. Before you start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Using a sharp paring knife, core the tomatoes and score a small “X” into the flesh on the bottom.
- 2. Place the tomatoes in the boiling water, in batches, until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water and let sit in the water for 1 minute before removing.
- 4. Peel the tomatoes using a paring knife. Halve them crosswise and scoop out the seeds with a hooked finger.
Per tablespoon: 8 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique