The clean flavor of this simple tomato sauce teams up well with grilled swordfish or tuna, as well as sautéed chicken or veal.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1-2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic in oil in a medium, nonaluminum skillet until it is just tender, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat just until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in chives and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel and seed tomatoes:
- 1. Before you start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Using a sharp paring knife, core the tomatoes and score a small “X” into the flesh on the bottom.
- 2. Place the tomatoes in the boiling water, in batches, until the skins are slightly loosened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water and let sit in the water for 1 minute before removing.
- 4. Peel the tomatoes using a paring knife. Halve them crosswise and scoop out the seeds with a hooked finger.
Per tablespoon: 8 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique