From EatingWell: July/August 2007
A gratin is any dish topped with cheese or breadcrumbs mixed with butter, then heated until browned—but it needn't be heavy. This one has plenty of garden-fresh tomatoes and herbs, a touch of full-flavored cheese and a crispy crumb topping.
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, torn into quarters
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add garlic, oil and cheese; pulse to combine. Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, layer tomato slices in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling each layer with basil, pepper and salt. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 128 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007