From EatingWell: July/August 2007
A gratin is any dish topped with cheese or breadcrumbs mixed with butter, then heated until browned—but it needn't be heavy. This one has plenty of garden-fresh tomatoes and herbs, a touch of full-flavored cheese and a crispy crumb topping.
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, torn into quarters
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add garlic, oil and cheese; pulse to combine. Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, layer tomato slices in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling each layer with basil, pepper and salt. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 128 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007