From EatingWell: July/August 2007
A gratin is any dish topped with cheese or breadcrumbs mixed with butter, then heated until browned—but it needn't be heavy. This one has plenty of garden-fresh tomatoes and herbs, a touch of full-flavored cheese and a crispy crumb topping.
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, torn into quarters
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add garlic, oil and cheese; pulse to combine. Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, layer tomato slices in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling each layer with basil, pepper and salt. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 128 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 303 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007