Tomato & Fennel Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
We like to use heirloom tomatoes in this simple salad. They're at their peak during the summer months and worth seeking out at your local grocery store or farmers' market. Which varieties you choose is up to you—any will work well here.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add tomatoes, fennel, parsley and pine nuts; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 141 calories; 12 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 513 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2007