Bacon, Tomato & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
We love farro, a high-fiber whole grain, because it cooks in about 15 minutes and has an amazing toothsome texture perfect for grain salads. In this healthy farro salad recipe we combine it with smoky bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for an easy side dish or light lunch. Look for farro at natural-foods stores and gourmet food markets.
- 1 cup farro (see Tip) or quick-cooking barley
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place farro (or barley) in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro (about 10 minutes for barley). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; leave the fat in the pan. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Crumble or chop the bacon. Add to the bowl along with tomatoes, basil and the warm vinaigrette; gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for farro in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 134 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 147 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Mother's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013