Bacon, Tomato & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
We love farro, a high-fiber whole grain, because it cooks in about 15 minutes and has an amazing toothsome texture perfect for grain salads. In this healthy farro salad recipe we combine it with smoky bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for an easy side dish or light lunch. Look for farro at natural-foods stores and gourmet food markets.
- 1 cup farro (see Tip) or quick-cooking barley
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place farro (or barley) in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro (about 10 minutes for barley). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; leave the fat in the pan. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Crumble or chop the bacon. Add to the bowl along with tomatoes, basil and the warm vinaigrette; gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for farro in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 134 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 147 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Mother's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013