Bacon, Tomato & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
We love farro, a high-fiber whole grain, because it cooks in about 15 minutes and has an amazing toothsome texture perfect for grain salads. In this healthy farro salad recipe we combine it with smoky bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for an easy side dish or light lunch. Look for farro at natural-foods stores and gourmet food markets.
- 1 cup farro (see Tip) or quick-cooking barley
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place farro (or barley) in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro (about 10 minutes for barley). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; leave the fat in the pan. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Crumble or chop the bacon. Add to the bowl along with tomatoes, basil and the warm vinaigrette; gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for farro in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 134 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 147 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Mother's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013