Bacon, Tomato & Farro Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
We love farro, a high-fiber whole grain, because it cooks in about 15 minutes and has an amazing toothsome texture perfect for grain salads. In this healthy farro salad recipe we combine it with smoky bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes and fresh basil for an easy side dish or light lunch. Look for farro at natural-foods stores and gourmet food markets.
- 1 cup farro (see Tip) or quick-cooking barley
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Place farro (or barley) in a medium saucepan; add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes for farro (about 10 minutes for barley). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate; leave the fat in the pan. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Crumble or chop the bacon. Add to the bowl along with tomatoes, basil and the warm vinaigrette; gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for farro in the bulk section or near other grains in natural-foods stores.
Per serving: 134 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 147 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Mother's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013