Tomatillo Sauce (Salsa Verde)
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
This versatile, spicy green sauce is made with tomatillos; it goes well with beef, pork, poultry and fish. And, of course, you can spoon it over a couple poached eggs sitting on corn tortillas and melted cheese to make a mean green version of huevos rancheros.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (about 16 small)
- 3 fresh hot chiles, such as jalapeño or serrano, stems trimmed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until tomatillos are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Pulse onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the drained tomatillos and chiles and process until smooth. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the tomatillo mixture and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture darkens and thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in broth and return to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and let cool to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Tomatillos are tart, plum-size fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
Per tablespoon: 11 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- January/February 1997