Tomatillo Sauce (Salsa Verde)
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
This versatile, spicy green sauce is made with tomatillos; it goes well with beef, pork, poultry and fish. And, of course, you can spoon it over a couple poached eggs sitting on corn tortillas and melted cheese to make a mean green version of huevos rancheros.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (about 16 small)
- 3 fresh hot chiles, such as jalapeño or serrano, stems trimmed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until tomatillos are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Pulse onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the drained tomatillos and chiles and process until smooth. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the tomatillo mixture and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture darkens and thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in broth and return to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and let cool to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Tomatillos are tart, plum-size fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
Per tablespoon: 11 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- January/February 1997