Tomatillo Sauce (Salsa Verde)
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
This versatile, spicy green sauce is made with tomatillos; it goes well with beef, pork, poultry and fish. And, of course, you can spoon it over a couple poached eggs sitting on corn tortillas and melted cheese to make a mean green version of huevos rancheros.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (about 16 small)
- 3 fresh hot chiles, such as jalapeño or serrano, stems trimmed
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until tomatillos are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Pulse onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the drained tomatillos and chiles and process until smooth. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the tomatillo mixture and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture darkens and thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in broth and return to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and let cool to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Tomatillos are tart, plum-size fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
Per tablespoon: 11 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 14 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1997