From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Grilling the tomatillos in this salsa adds a lovely smoky flavor and aroma.
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos (about 8), husked, rinsed and dried
- 2 small serrano chiles or jalapeño peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill or broil tomatillos, turning occasionally, until softened and blackened in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Core and halve the tomatillos.
- Combine the tomatillos, serranos (or jalapeños) and garlic in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with sugar and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 5 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Cinco de Mayo
- July/August 1997