From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Grilling the tomatillos in this salsa adds a lovely smoky flavor and aroma.
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos (about 8), husked, rinsed and dried
- 2 small serrano chiles or jalapeño peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill or broil tomatillos, turning occasionally, until softened and blackened in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Core and halve the tomatillos.
- Combine the tomatillos, serranos (or jalapeños) and garlic in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with sugar and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 5 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Cinco de Mayo
- July/August 1997