From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Grilling the tomatillos in this salsa adds a lovely smoky flavor and aroma.
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos (about 8), husked, rinsed and dried
- 2 small serrano chiles or jalapeño peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill or broil tomatillos, turning occasionally, until softened and blackened in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Core and halve the tomatillos.
- Combine the tomatillos, serranos (or jalapeños) and garlic in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Season with sugar and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per tablespoon: 5 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- July/August 1997