From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This tomatillo-based gazpacho is gorgeously green with a tart flavor that complements the sweet shrimp and salty olives. Make this meatless by substituting ricotta salata or feta for the shrimp. Serve with: Cheese quesadillas.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 pound tomatillos, (see Tip), husks removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cooked and peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Coarsely chop half the cucumber and half the avocado and place in a food processor. Add tomatillos, bell pepper, jalapeño to taste and the garlic. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in broth, sugar and salt.
- Dice the remaining cucumber and avocado and place in a medium bowl. Add shrimp, olives and scallions. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; gently toss to combine.
- Ladle the gazpacho into bowls and top each portion with about 3/4 cup of the shrimp salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the gazpacho (Step 2) and the shrimp salad (Step 3) in separate bowls for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: Tomatillos are tart, plum-size green fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
Per serving: 329 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008