From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This tomatillo-based gazpacho is gorgeously green with a tart flavor that complements the sweet shrimp and salty olives. Make this meatless by substituting ricotta salata or feta for the shrimp. Serve with: Cheese quesadillas.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 pound tomatillos, (see Tip), husks removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cooked and peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Coarsely chop half the cucumber and half the avocado and place in a food processor. Add tomatillos, bell pepper, jalapeño to taste and the garlic. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in broth, sugar and salt.
- Dice the remaining cucumber and avocado and place in a medium bowl. Add shrimp, olives and scallions. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; gently toss to combine.
- Ladle the gazpacho into bowls and top each portion with about 3/4 cup of the shrimp salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the gazpacho (Step 2) and the shrimp salad (Step 3) in separate bowls for up to 1 hour.
- Tip: Tomatillos are tart, plum-size green fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
Per serving: 329 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 7 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Iron (20% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008