Tom Yum Soup with Pineapple
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
We've added fresh pineapple to this spicy, sweet-and-sour Thai soup. Enjoy it as a first course before a light Thai curry or as a light lunch.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 2 1/4-inch-thick slices galangal, (see Tip) or ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 Thai lime leaves, (see Tip) or 3 2-inch strips lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Gently smash lemongrass and galangal (or ginger) on a cutting board with the side of a knife. Place in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime leaves (or zest). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Lemongrass, galangal, Thai lime leaves (sometimes called Kaffir or makrut lime leaves) and fish sauce lend the signature Thai flavors to this soup. If unavailable at your supermarket, find these ingredients at Asian markets.
Per serving: 110 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1011 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 2008