Tom Yum Soup with Pineapple
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
We've added fresh pineapple to this spicy, sweet-and-sour Thai soup. Enjoy it as a first course before a light Thai curry or as a light lunch.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 2 1/4-inch-thick slices galangal, (see Tip) or ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 Thai lime leaves, (see Tip) or 3 2-inch strips lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Gently smash lemongrass and galangal (or ginger) on a cutting board with the side of a knife. Place in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime leaves (or zest). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Lemongrass, galangal, Thai lime leaves (sometimes called Kaffir or makrut lime leaves) and fish sauce lend the signature Thai flavors to this soup. If unavailable at your supermarket, find these ingredients at Asian markets.
Per serving: 105 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)