Tom Yum Soup with Pineapple
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
We've added fresh pineapple to this spicy, sweet-and-sour Thai soup. Enjoy it as a first course before a light Thai curry or as a light lunch.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 2 1/4-inch-thick slices galangal, (see Tip) or ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 Thai lime leaves, (see Tip) or 3 2-inch strips lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Gently smash lemongrass and galangal (or ginger) on a cutting board with the side of a knife. Place in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime leaves (or zest). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Lemongrass, galangal, Thai lime leaves (sometimes called Kaffir or makrut lime leaves) and fish sauce lend the signature Thai flavors to this soup. If unavailable at your supermarket, find these ingredients at Asian markets.
Per serving: 105 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2008