Tom Yum Soup with Pineapple
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
We've added fresh pineapple to this spicy, sweet-and-sour Thai soup. Enjoy it as a first course before a light Thai curry or as a light lunch.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 2 1/4-inch-thick slices galangal, (see Tip) or ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 Thai lime leaves, (see Tip) or 3 2-inch strips lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Gently smash lemongrass and galangal (or ginger) on a cutting board with the side of a knife. Place in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime leaves (or zest). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Lemongrass, galangal, Thai lime leaves (sometimes called Kaffir or makrut lime leaves) and fish sauce lend the signature Thai flavors to this soup. If unavailable at your supermarket, find these ingredients at Asian markets.
Per serving: 110 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1011 mg sodium; 447 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 2008