Tom Yum Soup with Pineapple
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
We've added fresh pineapple to this spicy, sweet-and-sour Thai soup. Enjoy it as a first course before a light Thai curry or as a light lunch.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 2 1/4-inch-thick slices galangal, (see Tip) or ginger
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 4 Thai lime leaves, (see Tip) or 3 2-inch strips lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Gently smash lemongrass and galangal (or ginger) on a cutting board with the side of a knife. Place in a large saucepan with broth, jalapeños and lime leaves (or zest). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl. Discard solids.
- Return the broth to the pan. Add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice, scallions and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Lemongrass, galangal, Thai lime leaves (sometimes called Kaffir or makrut lime leaves) and fish sauce lend the signature Thai flavors to this soup. If unavailable at your supermarket, find these ingredients at Asian markets.
Per serving: 105 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 596 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Entertaining, casual
- January/February 2008