Tofu with Tomato-Mushroom Sauce
Sauteed tofu makes a simple fresh tomato-and-mushroom sauce hearty and substantial. Serve over polenta or toss with pasta.
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in pesto and feta.
Per serving: 136 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 128 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian