Tofu with Thai Curry Sauce
Creamy Thai curry sauce gives tofu a spicy, satisfying kick. You can adjust the amount of curry paste depending on your spice preference. Serve with brown basmati rice and lime wedges.
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste, or to taste (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Tofu & vegetables
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach, (6 ounces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- To prepare sauce: Whisk coconut milk, cilantro, curry paste, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add spinach, bell pepper and the curry sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Notes: Look for reduced-fat coconut milk (labeled "lite") in the Asian section of your market.
- Red curry paste is a convenient way to add heat and complexity to a recipe. Look for it in small jars in the Asian section of the supermarket.
Per serving: 179 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 409 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (saturated)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique