Tofu with Thai Curry Sauce
Creamy Thai curry sauce gives tofu a spicy, satisfying kick. You can adjust the amount of curry paste depending on your spice preference. Serve with brown basmati rice and lime wedges.
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk, (see Ingredient notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste, or to taste (see Ingredient notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Tofu & vegetables
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach, (6 ounces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- To prepare sauce: Whisk coconut milk, cilantro, curry paste, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add spinach, bell pepper and the curry sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Notes: Look for reduced-fat coconut milk (labeled "lite") in the Asian section of your market.
- Red curry paste is a convenient way to add heat and complexity to a recipe. Look for it in small jars in the Asian section of the supermarket.
Per serving: 179 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 409 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat (saturated)
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique