Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce
Tofu and vegetables get a dramatic lift from a spicy peanut sauce. Serve with a cucumber salad for a low-calorie, nutrient-packed vegetarian supper.
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, (see Ingredient note) or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Tofu & vegetables
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach, (6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, (4 ounces)
- 4 scallions, sliced (1 cup)
- To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
- To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Rice vinegar (or rice-wine vinegar) is mild, slightly sweet vinegar made from fermented rice. Find it in the Asian section of supermarkets and specialty stores.
Per serving: 221 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 231 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian