From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this healthy tofu recipe, seared strips of tofu stand in for meat for a vegetarian version of beef stroganoff. We make the sauce rich and savory with mushroom broth and a touch of sherry, and keep the fat in check with reduced-fat sour cream.
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, divided
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles (6 cups dry)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 10 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Cut tofu block in half crosswise. Cut each piece in thirds horizontally, then cut each stack crosswise again into 6 pieces. (You will have 36 strips, 2 inches by 1/2 inch.) Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and sprinkle on all sides with paprika and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and white pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and keep covered.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu in a single layer, gently stirring every few minutes, until golden brown on all sides, 7 to 9 minutes total. Add 2 tablespoons sherry and cook, stirring, until evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the tofu to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion, mushrooms, thyme and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and white pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and the remaining 3 tablespoons sherry; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir the tofu into the sauce. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve the tofu stroganoff over the noodles.
Per serving: 487 calories; 19 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 618 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Potassium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)