From EatingWell: March/April 2008
Instead of having a greasy, battered coating, the tofu “steaks” in our revamped Parmigiana are breaded and lightly pan-fried in just a small amount of oil then topped with part-skim mozzarella, fresh basil and your favorite marinara sauce. This Italian classic will please even those who are tofu-phobic.
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce, preferably low-sodium
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour marinara over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top. Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 444 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (40% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- March/April 2008