Tofu Cutlets with Green Olives & Prunes
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
In this dish, tofu slices are dredged and sauteed as you would with a chicken breast or a fish fillet to make them crisp on the outside and soft and moist inside. The green olive and prune combination may sound unusual, but when we were developing the recipe we had to double the amount of sauce because our tasters loved it so much.
- 7 ounces extra-firm, water-packed tofu, (see Tips for Two), drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth (see Tips for Two)
- 2-3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives, such as Spanish, Cerignola or cracked green
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted prunes
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut tofu crosswise into four 1/2-inch-thick slices. Pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Whisk cornstarch, flour, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the tofu in the cornstarch mixture. Add the tofu to the pan and cook, turning once, until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add broth and vinegar to the pan; bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add olives, prunes and pepper and simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, spoon the sauce over the tofu.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Rinse leftover tofu, place in a storage container and cover with water; change water every 1 to 2 days to keep it fresh; you can also freeze tofu for up to 5 months (Don't be surprised if the frozen tofu turns a light shade of caramel and has a slightly chewier texture.) Crumble and use instead of the meat in your favorite tuna or chicken salad recipe; dice and add to a vegetable stir-fry.
- Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 218 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 663 mg sodium; 205 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)