Tofu & Broccoli Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
We like broccoli best in this tofu stir-fry, but any mixture of vegetables you have on hand will work. One way to get great tofu texture without deep-frying is to toss the tofu in cornstarch before stir-frying. Let it cook for several minutes without stirring to help it develop a little crust. Serve with: Chinese egg noodles or rice noodles and a glass of Riesling.
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (see Note) or rice wine
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons water
- Combine broth, sherry (or rice wine), soy sauce, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sugar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into 3/4-inch cubes and pat dry, then sprinkle with salt. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the tofu; toss gently to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, undisturbed, until browned, about 3 minutes. Gently turn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and water; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender-crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir the reserved broth mixture and add to the pan. Cook until the sauce has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Return the tofu to the pan; toss to combine with the broccoli and sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 258 calories; 13 g fat (1 g sat, 9 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 539 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (168% daily value), Vitamin A (65% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Folate (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)