Salsa-Tofu Breakfast Burrito
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Even though this healthy breakfast burrito comes together in just 5 minutes, you can make this burrito even faster by skipping the skillet and combining the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper in a bowl and microwaving until hot, about 1 minute. Use soy cheese to make it a vegan burrito.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; continue cooking until heated through, about 30 seconds. Spread cheese down the center of tortilla. Top with the tofu mixture. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Per serving: 259 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 4 g fiber; 648 mg sodium; 341 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (14% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013