Salsa-Tofu Breakfast Burrito
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Even though this healthy breakfast burrito comes together in just 5 minutes, you can make this burrito even faster by skipping the skillet and combining the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper in a bowl and microwaving until hot, about 1 minute. Use soy cheese to make it a vegan burrito.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; continue cooking until heated through, about 30 seconds. Spread cheese down the center of tortilla. Top with the tofu mixture. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Tips & Notes
- Eat neat: Keeping the filling inside a wrap or burrito can be a challenge, especially if youÃ•re on the go. ThatÃ•s why we recommend wrapping your burrito in foil so you can pick it up and eat it without losing the filling, peeling back the foil as you go.
Per serving: 259 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 4 g fiber; 648 mg sodium; 341 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (14% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2013