Salsa-Tofu Breakfast Burrito
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Even though this healthy breakfast burrito comes together in just 5 minutes, you can make this burrito even faster by skipping the skillet and combining the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper in a bowl and microwaving until hot, about 1 minute. Use soy cheese to make it a vegan burrito.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; continue cooking until heated through, about 30 seconds. Spread cheese down the center of tortilla. Top with the tofu mixture. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Per serving: 259 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 4 g fiber; 648 mg sodium; 341 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (14% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2013