Salsa-Tofu Breakfast Burrito
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Even though this healthy breakfast burrito comes together in just 5 minutes, you can make this burrito even faster by skipping the skillet and combining the tofu, salsa, salt and pepper in a bowl and microwaving until hot, about 1 minute. Use soy cheese to make it a vegan burrito.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, salt and pepper; continue cooking until heated through, about 30 seconds. Spread cheese down the center of tortilla. Top with the tofu mixture. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll into a burrito.
Per serving: 259 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 4 g fiber; 648 mg sodium; 341 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (14% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013