Toasted-Oat Shortcakes with Basil-Scented Peaches
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
These toasted oat shortcakes are filled with basil-infused peaches and topped with vanilla frozen yogurt in this decadent summer dessert.
- Peach Filling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh basil sprigs
- 6 peaches, or nectarines
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- To make peach filling: Combine water, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, add basil and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and pit peaches (or pit nectarines). Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a bowl.
- Discard basil sprigs and pour the syrup over peaches. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until syrup turns pink, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make & assemble shortcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread oats on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring twice, until light golden and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk 1 cup toasted oats, flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut cream cheese into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. (Dough will be wet and sticky; do not overmix.)
- Spoon dough into 8 mounds on prepared baking sheet. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toasted oats. Bake shortcakes until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. 10. To serve, split shortcakes in half with a serrated knife. Set bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon on peach filling and frozen yogurt. Set tops on at an angle. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 317 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)