Toasted Oat & Apple Crumble
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Toasting the oats brings out a rich nutty flavor in this apple crumble.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine toasted oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, apple-juice concentrate and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the apples in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the oat mixture over apples and bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 264 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1998