Toasted Oat & Apple Crumble
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Toasting the oats brings out a rich nutty flavor in this apple crumble.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine toasted oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, apple-juice concentrate and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the apples in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the oat mixture over apples and bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 264 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1998