Toasted Oat & Apple Crumble
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Toasting the oats brings out a rich nutty flavor in this apple crumble.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine toasted oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, apple-juice concentrate and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the apples in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the oat mixture over apples and bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 264 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- January/February 1998