Toasted Oat & Apple Crumble
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Toasting the oats brings out a rich nutty flavor in this apple crumble.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine toasted oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, apple-juice concentrate and oil in a bowl.
- Spread the apples in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the oat mixture over apples and bake until browned, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 264 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 75 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1998