TLT (Tofu, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich)
With pickles, oven fries and a tall glass of minty iced tea, even the most devoted bacon fan won't remember what's missing in this smoky, spicy renovation of the sandwich favorite.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
- 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap the baked tofu in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Ingredient Note: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 363 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Fiber (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique