TLT (Tofu, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich)
With pickles, oven fries and a tall glass of minty iced tea, even the most devoted bacon fan won't remember what's missing in this smoky, spicy renovation of the sandwich favorite.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
- 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap the baked tofu in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Ingredient Note: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 363 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Fiber (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique