TLT (Tofu, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich)
With pickles, oven fries and a tall glass of minty iced tea, even the most devoted bacon fan won't remember what's missing in this smoky, spicy renovation of the sandwich favorite.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
- 14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap the baked tofu in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Ingredient Note: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 363 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 4 g fiber; 685 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Fiber (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique