Here's how we make our luscious Tiramisù with about a third of the fat and half the calories of most versions: we layer coffee-and-brandy-soaked ladyfingers with an ultra-light egg-white custard combined with rich mascarpone cheese and lower-fat Neufchâtel cheese. This healthier version of the triflelike dessert would pass muster in any Italian café.
- 8 ounces ladyfingers, (60 ladyfingers)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons brandy, divided
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (preferably espresso) granules
- 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, (see Ingredient Note), reconstituted according to package directions
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1 cup chocolate shavings, (see Tip)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- If ladyfingers are soft, toast them in a 350°F oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Stir water, 3 tablespoons brandy and coffee granules in a small bowl until the granules are dissolved. Brush over the flat side of the ladyfingers.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Combine reconstituted egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof mixing bowl that will fit over the saucepan. Set the bowl over the simmering water and beat with an electric mixer at low speed for 4 to 5 minutes. Increase speed to high and continue beating over the heat for about 3 minutes more. (The mixture should form a ribbon trail.) Remove the bowl from the heat and beat until cool and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Beat mascarpone and cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy. Add about 1 cup of the beaten whites and the remaining 1 tablespoon brandy; beat until smooth, scraping down the sides. Fold in the remaining whites.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 3-quart trifle bowl or soufflé dish with ladyfingers, flat sides toward the center. Spoon in one-fourth of the filling and top with a layer of ladyfingers. Repeat with two more layers of filling and ladyfingers, arranging the fourth layer of ladyfingers decoratively over the top, trimming to fit if necessary. Top with the remaining filling. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Before serving, sprinkle the tiramis° with chocolate shavings and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 3-quart trifle bowl or soufflÃ© dish
- Ingredient Note: Dried egg whites are pasteurized—a wise choice when making meringue toppings that may not reach 160°F (the temperature at which eggs are considered "safe"). You'll find them in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets. Reconstitute according to package directions.
- Tip: To make chocolate shavings: Place a block of chocolate (2 ounces or larger) on wax paper and microwave on Defrost until slightly softened but not melted, 15 to 30 seconds. Use a swivel-bladed vegetable peeler to shave off curls. If the chocolate gets too hard to shave easily, warm it again.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 0 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 0 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more