From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Forget deep-fried fish—the tilapia in this healthy po’boy recipe, a classic Cajun sandwich recipe, is coated in cornmeal and cooked in just 2 tablespoons of oil. The result? A healthy, crispy fish sandwich without extra calories. Serve with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.
- 2 large tilapia fillets (6-7 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (without added salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 4 small whole-wheat hoagie buns (2-3 ounces each), toasted
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups very thinly sliced romaine
- Sprinkle fish with Cajun spice and salt, then cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip the fish in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal. (Discard any leftover egg and cornmeal.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish (it will be a tight fit) and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn over, swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook until the fish is golden brown on the other side and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Combine mayonnaise and pickle in a small bowl. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 generous tablespoon of the mixture on each bun. Top with a piece of fish, tomato, onion and lettuce.
Per serving: 379 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 10 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 860 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (48% daily value), Vitamin B12 (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014