From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Forget deep-fried fish—the tilapia in this healthy po’boy recipe, a classic Cajun sandwich recipe, is coated in cornmeal and cooked in just 2 tablespoons of oil. The result? A healthy, crispy fish sandwich without extra calories. Serve with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.
- 2 large tilapia fillets (6-7 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (without added salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 4 small whole-wheat hoagie buns (2-3 ounces each), toasted
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups very thinly sliced romaine
- Sprinkle fish with Cajun spice and salt, then cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip the fish in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal. (Discard any leftover egg and cornmeal.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish (it will be a tight fit) and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn over, swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook until the fish is golden brown on the other side and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Combine mayonnaise and pickle in a small bowl. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 generous tablespoon of the mixture on each bun. Top with a piece of fish, tomato, onion and lettuce.
Per serving: 379 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 10 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 860 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (48% daily value), Vitamin B12 (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014