From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Forget deep-fried fish—the tilapia in this healthy po’boy recipe, a classic Cajun sandwich recipe, is coated in cornmeal and cooked in just 2 tablespoons of oil. The result? A healthy, crispy fish sandwich without extra calories. Serve with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.
- 2 large tilapia fillets (6-7 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (without added salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 4 small whole-wheat hoagie buns (2-3 ounces each), toasted
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups very thinly sliced romaine
- Sprinkle fish with Cajun spice and salt, then cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip the fish in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal. (Discard any leftover egg and cornmeal.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish (it will be a tight fit) and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn over, swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook until the fish is golden brown on the other side and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Combine mayonnaise and pickle in a small bowl. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 generous tablespoon of the mixture on each bun. Top with a piece of fish, tomato, onion and lettuce.
Per serving: 379 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 10 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 860 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (48% daily value), Vitamin B12 (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014