From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Forget deep-fried fish—the tilapia in this healthy po’boy recipe, a classic Cajun sandwich recipe, is coated in cornmeal and cooked in just 2 tablespoons of oil. The result? A healthy, crispy fish sandwich without extra calories. Serve with coleslaw and sweet potato fries.
- 2 large tilapia fillets (6-7 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend (without added salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
- 4 small whole-wheat hoagie buns (2-3 ounces each), toasted
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups very thinly sliced romaine
- Sprinkle fish with Cajun spice and salt, then cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish. Place cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip the fish in the egg mixture, then in the cornmeal. (Discard any leftover egg and cornmeal.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish (it will be a tight fit) and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn over, swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and cook until the fish is golden brown on the other side and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Combine mayonnaise and pickle in a small bowl. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 generous tablespoon of the mixture on each bun. Top with a piece of fish, tomato, onion and lettuce.
Per serving: 379 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 10 g total sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 860 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (48% daily value), Vitamin B12 (23% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Mardi Gras
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014