Tilapia with Grapefruit-Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, quick tilapia recipe, you’ll combine grapefruit, shallot, capers, butter and a touch of honey for a rich, bittersweet sauce. Any grapefruit will work, but vibrant ruby-red grapefruit is the prettiest. Serve with whole-wheat couscous and broccolini.
- 2 medium red grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/4 pounds tilapia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Slice both ends off one grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a small bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Set aside. Juice the second grapefruit into another small bowl. Drain any accumulated juice from the segments into the bowl with juice.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until browned and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring, until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add the grapefruit juice, capers, butter, honey and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir the grapefruit segments into the sauce. Serve the fish with the sauce.
Per serving: 233 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Vitamin B12 (30% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014