Tilapia with Grapefruit-Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this healthy, quick tilapia recipe, you’ll combine grapefruit, shallot, capers, butter and a touch of honey for a rich, bittersweet sauce. Any grapefruit will work, but vibrant ruby-red grapefruit is the prettiest. Serve with whole-wheat couscous and broccolini.
- 2 medium red grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1 1/4 pounds tilapia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Slice both ends off one grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a small bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Set aside. Juice the second grapefruit into another small bowl. Drain any accumulated juice from the segments into the bowl with juice.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until browned and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring, until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add the grapefruit juice, capers, butter, honey and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir the grapefruit segments into the sauce. Serve the fish with the sauce.
Per serving: 233 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Vitamin B12 (30% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014