Tilapia Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
This light soup is a great way to slip fresh corn (and tilapia, of course!) into your late-summer menu. Make it a meal: Enjoy with a mixed green salad and oyster crackers.
- 2 ounces bacon, (about 2 slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, (about 4 ears)
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, (optional)
- Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan. Add celery, leek, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if using.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (73% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Folate (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- July/August 2007