Tilapia Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
This light soup is a great way to slip fresh corn (and tilapia, of course!) into your late-summer menu. Make it a meal: Enjoy with a mixed green salad and oyster crackers.
- 2 ounces bacon, (about 2 slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, (about 4 ears)
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, (optional)
- Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan. Add celery, leek, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if using.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (73% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Folate (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- July/August 2007