Tilapia Corn Chowder
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
This light soup is a great way to slip fresh corn (and tilapia, of course!) into your late-summer menu. Make it a meal: Enjoy with a mixed green salad and oyster crackers.
- 2 ounces bacon, (about 2 slices)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, (about 4 ears)
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, (optional)
- Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add oil to the pan. Add celery, leek, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if using.
Per serving: 288 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 453 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (73% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Folate (16% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007