From EatingWell: July/August 2008
A Mexican-style torta is just like a burrito, except the “wrapper” is a hollowed-out roll instead of a tortilla. Here it's filled with mashed spiced black beans and a quick guacamole. Take this vegetarian version to another level (and add calcium) by melting Monterey Jack cheese onto the bean side of the sandwich. Serve with: Grilled corn on the cob or Spanish rice.
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, or pinto beans, rinsed (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeño
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 1/3 cups shredded green cabbage
- Mash beans, salsa, jalapeño and cumin in a small bowl. Mash avocado, onion and lime juice in another small bowl.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece in half horizontally. Pull out most of the soft bread from the center so you’re left with mostly crust. Divide the bean paste, avocado mixture and cabbage evenly among the sandwiches. Cut each in half and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the bean mixture (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Note: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (This recipe is analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
Per serving: 354 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 17 g fiber; 682 mg sodium; 639 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 plant-based protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008